Friday, February 17, 2012

I Live for 25 Years

Tonight I will close my eyes and dream of the three of us nestled beneath a mound of blankets, of floorboards creaking beneath stranger's footfalls, the clapboards and thin glass struggling to keep out the cold, of ancient cobwebs strung across eaves hidden in darkness.

I see the miles of rain-soaked highway that I have traveled. The cracked pavement I have walked. The rocks and trees I have climbed. I can feel the warmth of the sun, remembered. I relive a thousand idle afternoons. I see the smiling faces of those I have loved and who have loved me. I feel their fingers run slowly through my hair and come to rest on my chest.

Tonight I will sleep, immersed in the warmth of memory, alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

My photo
I am learning to forgive